Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Crunching Some Numbers

Since actually playing a game last week, that has naturally led to drawing up multiple lists of minis I would like to buy. (See, I said "would like," not "need." That's progress, right?) But after reviewing my accounts this morning, the budget is tighter than I thought. The Mustang is really putting a serious, serious dent. Actually, dent isn't the right word. Devouring is more like it. As in leaving nothing but crumbs.

That leads me to ponder a few options:
1. I simply don't buy the minis. At least not for a while. It's not like I don't have a huge pile needing painting anyway.
2. I make a more concerted effort to sell some unused items on ebay. I've tried this before with marginal success. I just hate taking all the pictures, writing up the posts, etc. But let's be honest. I did an off-the-cuff count this morning of periods I have minis for, and came up with no less than 16. Several of those periods feature more than one army, like WWI and WWII skirmish, so I'd guess I have elements of no less than 25 armies, maybe more. Ridiculous, no?
3. I don't pay the credit card off in full this month. Not a good precedent to set, I think.
4. Sell the car. Believe me, I've thought about it more than once. But to have come this far only to turn back now? No.

Keep in mind my hobby budget comes out of my own account rather than the joint marital account. When it's gone, it's gone, and it take me a while to build up. A small amount of my paycheck is set aside for this purpose. Likewise, the credit card in question is also used solely for "my" purchases - as well as gifts for the wife, kids, etc. And with the holidays coming up, there's another thing to consider.

Sorry for the somewhat downer of a post, but it is what it is right now! Much thinking to do... I think the best option is to sort through and put some things on ebay and hope for the best. Now I just need to carve out time for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment