Monday, October 29, 2012

HMS Bounty Lost at Sea

I was very saddened to hear this morning of the loss of the HMS Bounty (replica) off the coast of North Carolina, with two crewmen still missing at the time of this posting.

I know it may be hard to believe given the ADD nature of this blog, but one of my longest and greatest interests are of all things to do with the sea. I suppose that can be blamed on a great-great-great grandfather from Argyle who sailed the ocean's out of Glasgow and ended up on the Great Lakes somehow in the early 1800s, great-great and great-grandfathers who were tug boat captains on the Great Lakes, and a grandfather who was an engineer on the Great Lakes ore boats. (My dad stayed on land and got into cars, but to this day owns two boats at age 72.)

I have visited the Bounty on at least two occasions, once at the pier in St. Petersburg, FL, and once during a tall ships celebration in Bay City, MI, near my home. I've built at least two models of it, neither very good, and read multiple books on Fletcher Christian and the gang.

Here's hoping this story has a happy ending.


No comments:

Post a Comment