Sunday, October 16, 2016

Dipping the Toe in Colonial Waters

Inspiration can come from many directions. Usually it's a book, or a movie. Or just seeing some nice new line of minis. Or it can come from the attic in the garage, where I found these old Essex 15mm Sudan minis.

I have no recollection of buying them, or what I might have bought them for. But I do seem to remember trying to sell them on ebay a while ago, without success. I uncovered them again last week while looking for something else, and decided what the heck, I should paint some up.

I'm not 100% sure I got all the colors right, but I think they look decent. I based them up separately - and in a group of 12 - because I have a notion I might try The Men Who Would Be Kings with them. I don't have a lot more of the British, but enough for a start. And no enemies, fuzzy wuzzies or whatnot. I'll probably create some kind of magnetic tray or something at some point - they are mounted on 1/2 inch washers.

Basically, I know precious little about the period. I've heard of Gordon (who hasn't?) and know the bare basics of Khartoum, and Mahdists, Fuzzy Wuzzies, Omdurman, etc. Looks like some Osprey purchases might be in order.

At the moment I'm thinking of getting some more Essex to add to the British for consistency, but might go with Old Glory 15s for "targets." These Essex figs did paint up rather easily. I know there are a lot of very nice looking 28s out there, and a skirmish game like TMWWBK might look better at that scale, but with 15s already started, there you go. Of course for terrain I also have nothing.

Because another period and more figs is just what I need, right?

1 comment: